Today’s edition of MMARecap’s morning commute has more on the back and forth between Bellator and UFC over contract matching, Ronda Rousey is back in the news again, Frank Shamrock talks about the death of Strikeforce, and more. Give it a listen in the player below or you can download it to your mp3 player of choice.
Posts Tagged ‘Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal’
“M-1 Global: Breakthrough” took place Friday August 28 at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Missouri. A total of twelve fights were shown and aired on HDNet. An exhibition match between Gegard Mousasi and Fedor Emelianenko set the stage for the main event of Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal versus UFC veteran Mark Kerr.
Lawal needed only 25 seconds to finish Kerr off. After a quick tie up, Lawal threw Kerr to the mat, which resulted in Kerr injuring his shoulder. Several quick shots later by Lawal and Kerr was knocked out. The final blow sent Kerr’s mouthpiece across the ring.
Gegard Mousasi put on one of the best showings against Fedor Emelianenko. The back and forth exhibition Sambo match saw Mousasi take Emelianenko down twice and attempt an arm bar. However Emelianenko was able to use his Sambo throws to throw Mousasi and lock in an arm bar forcing Mousasi to tap.
Full results below:
• Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal def. Mark Kerr via KO (strikes) – Round 1, 0:25
• Fedor Emelianenko taps Gegard Mousasi via submission (armbar) in exhibition sparring match
• Karl Amoussou def. John Doyle via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 3:15
• Lucio Linhares def. Mikhail Zayats via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 1:00
• Jessie Gibbs def. Rob Broughton via unanimous decision
• Michael Kitta def. Lloyd “Kadillac” Marshbanks via submission (strikes) – Round 1, 1:50
• Daisuke Nakamura def. Ferrid Kheder via unanimous decision
• Rogent Lloret vs. Alexey Oleinik declared unanimous draw
• Eric Marriott def. Tim Bazer via unanimous decision
• Sean Wilson def. Josh Arocho via KO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:05
• Rudy Bears def. Brendan Seguin via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:01
• Molly Ahlers-Estes def. Andrea Caplan via referee stoppage – Round 1, 3:00
M-1 Global officials have finalized their “Breakthrough” fight card. Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal (4-0) will take on UFC veteran Mark Kerr (15-10) in the night’s main event. Also on tap for the card is a “Special Sparring Exhibition” match between Fedor Emelianenko and newly crowned Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, Gegard Mousasi.
The event has seen many changes, but was finalized late last week. Originally scheduled to take place in Los Angeles, M-1 Global had to find a new venue when a partner backed out of certain commitments. M-1 Global did not want to leave the fans unhappy, and worked diligently to find a new location at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Missouri.
Also originally scheduled was a main event between Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal and Don Frye. However after the change in venue, Frye pulled out of the event.
The twelve-fight card will air live on HDNet starting at 10PM EST. The full card features:
* Mark Kerr vs. Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal
* Fedor Eemlianenko vs. Gegard Mousasi (five-minute sparring exhibition)
* Lucio Linhares vs. Mikkail Zayats
* Rob Broughton vs. Jessie Gibbs
* Karl Amoussou vs. John Doyle
* Michael Kita vs. Lloyd Marshbanks
* Ferrid Kheder vs. Daisuke Nakamura
* Rogent Lloret vs. Alexey Oleinik
* Tim Bazer vs. Eric Marriot
* Josh Orocho vs. Sean Wilson
* Rudy Bears vs. Brendan Seguin
* Mollie Ahlers-Estes vs. Andria Caplan