World Victory Road’s “Sengoku 10 Battle” is in the books. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva took on “Big” Jim York in the night’s co-main event, while Antz Nansen took on Olympian Hiroshi Izumi in the main event.
While both Nansen and Izumi were making their pro mixed martial arts debuts, Izumi was the heavily favored in the bout. Unfortunately Izumi decided to try and trade blows with Nansen and ended up on the losing end of the battle. Nansen floored Izumi with a straight punch and followed him to the matt to quickly force the referee to halt the action.
Silva recently stated that he has one fight left he would like to honor on his contract with World Victory Road before returning stateside. His victory over York marked his sixth straight. Silva needed only 3:51 before forcing York to tap out due to arm triangle choke.
Dan Hornbuckle became a major name after his vicious knock out of Akihiro Gono in August. Hornbuckle was able to neutralize Thompson’s reach advantage and put on a dominating performance. Ninty seconds into the second round, Hornbuckle earned the technical knockout victory over Thompson. The fight was so lopsided that Thompson is considering retirement.
Former IFL champion Ryan Schultz was hoping to rebound from his two fight losing streak; Kazunori Yokota had other intentions and gave Schultz his third straight loss. Yokota connected on a solid punch that knocked Schultz out cold.
The full Sengoku 10th Battle results included:
• Antz Nansen def. Hiroshi Izumi via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:56
• Antonio Silva def. Jim York via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:51
• Makoto Takimoto def. Jae Sun Lee via unanimous decision
• Kazunori Yokota def. Ryan Schultz via first-round KO (punch) – Round 1, 2:31
• Fabio Silva def. Ryo Kawamura via second-round TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:28
• Dan Hornbuckle def. Nick Thompson via second-round TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:30
• Joe Doerksen def. Takenori Sato via first-round TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:27
• Maximo Blanco def. Tetsuya Yamada via second-round TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:12
• Ikuo Usuda def. Woo Hyon Baek via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:59
• Shigeki Osawa def. Ki Hyun Kim via unanimous decision
• Jae Hyun So def. Ryosuke Komori via unanimous decision