“UFC 103: Franklin vs Belfort” weigh-ins took place at the Dallas Convention Center Arena in Dallas, Texas. UFC 103 features a main event of Rich “The Ace” Franklin (26-4) against Vitor “The Phenom” Belfort (18-8) who is making his return the the UFC.
“Ultimate Fighter” season eight winner Effrain Escudero (11-0) initially weighed in at 157 lbs, which is one pound over the 156 lbs weight limit for his bout with Cole Miller (15-3). He was given an additional two hours to cut the final pound and he successfully weighed in at 156lbs.
Former lightweight title challenger Hermes Franca (19-7) also missed weight, and came in at 159 lbs, for his lightweight bout with Tyson Griffin (13-2). Joe Rogan later announced that Hermes Franca and Tyson Griffin have agreed to fight at a catch weight bout at 159lbs.
Belfort initially stepped in on the scale and weighed in at 197.5 lbs. His fight with Franklin is at a catch-weight of 195lbs, thus putting Belfort over the agreed upon weight. On the second go round, Belfort shed some clothing and weighed in at 196.5 lbs; still a half pound too much. Belfort decided to try to make weight by stripping completely naked, which was much delight to the female fans, but he was still a quarter of a pound over. Like, Escudero, he was given two hours to cut the remaining weight and he was successful.
Belfort has not seen UFC action since last losing to Tito Ortiz (15-6-1) in 2005. Belfort said, “I’m here to accomplish my dream and I think I had a chance and I’m glad God gave me that chance again.”
Rich Franklin in closing said, “When I sat down and renegotiated my contract, I was talking to Dana (UFC President) about fighting other guys that were legendary in the sport. Vitor is one of them and that’s what we came up with.”
UFC 103 Weigh-In Results:
• Rich Franklin (195) vs Vitor Belfort (196)
• Junior Dos Santos (236) vs Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (226)
• Martin Kampmann (169.5) vs Paul Daley (170)
• Josh Koscheck (170) vs Frank Trigg (170.25)
• Tyson Griffin (155.5) vs Hermes Franca (159)
Preliminary Card Spike TV:
• Efrain Escudero (156) vs Cole Miller (155)
• Drew McFedries (185.25) vs Tomas Drwal (185)
• Jim Miller (154.5) vs Steve Lopez (154.5)
• Rafaello Oliviera (155.25) vs Nik Lentz (155)
• Brian Foster (170.25) vs Rick Story (170)
• Jason Brilz (205.25) vs Eliot Marshall (204.75)
• Vladmir Matyushenko (205) vs Igor Pokrajac (203)
• Robert Emerson (155.5) vs Rafael Dos Anjos (155.5)
Photo courtesly of ohiomma.com
Tags: Brian Foster, Cole Miller, Drew McFedries, Efrain Escudero, Eliot Marshall, Frank trigg, Hermes Franca, Igor Pokrajac, Jason Brilz, Jim Miller, Josh Koscheck, Junior Dos Santos, Martin Kampmann, Mirko Cro Cop, Nik Lentz, Paul Daley, Rafael dos Anjos, Rafaello Oliveira, Rich Franklin, Rick Story, Rob Emerson, Steve Lopez, Tomasz Drwal, Tyson Griffin, UFC 103, Vitor Belfort, Vladimir Matyushenko
Trackback from your site.